Thursday, February 19, 2009

Working through the new reality

The oncologist post sat (completed) in the drafts for a long time. I had finished it only a couple of days after the visit, but was still stunned by the outcome...more specifically the news that there wasn't anything that could be done. For whatever reason I couldn't bring myself to publish it. I don't know why. Maybe it was simply once it was published it becomes even more real.

For over a week Gabby was eating steak on a daily basis; some days with a little more vigor than others. She still wouldn't go for it if we put anything else in the bowl with it, but we were very glad she's been eating. She's even had the urge to chew on an antler, even if she has to steal it from Dexter's mouth (yep, she did that). Over the last few days she hasn't been as interested in the steak, so we are now struggling to find something else.

This blog has been hard to keep up on, largely because it isn't really what I had planned. See, what was supposed to happen was we were going to have a long battle ahead of us. Gabby would live up to to the terrier in her and be difficult with some things but, over the years, we were going to learn some tips & tricks about homemade diets, supplements and giving Sub-q fluids. We would have sage advice about dealing with the roller coaster ride that is kidney failure. I even, for a brief period of time, allowed myself to dream that she actually has Addison's Disease and that suddenly, miraculously, the blog would come to an end because everything was all under control. And I could offer the advice to make sure that your vet checks everything.

These days we are in a holding pattern of sorts. She's been doing well. She likes roast beef sandwiches and burgers right now. It's actually been a few days since her last incontinence accident. She's been chewing on the antlers regularly. Grumbling and barking as she tries to fluff her bed. She's also back to coming to work with me, there was a period of time where she had just slept in the bedroom all day. If the weather were nice, I wouldn't be surprised to see her outside excavating the yard. I need to prevent myself from falling into a false sense of security because, for all intents and purposes, she hasn't really seemed sick. But I am very glad that, at least for now (knock on wood) she's comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment